The Albany Chapter of the Association of Legal Administrators is a non-profit organization composed of management professionals from private law firms, government agencies and college and university legal departments in the Capital District of New York State and the Berkshire Region of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
The Chapter was founded in May 1987 by a small group of law firm managers looking for professional growth, to strengthen their skills and abilities, to enhance the profession and to provide support and assistance to each other. While the Chapter has grown from that beginning and currently has 45 members, the Chapter's founding principles are deeply rooted and continue to guide the Chapter. In fact, several of the Chapter's charter members are still in the profession and active in the Chapter. Several other charter members are employed in law firms in other capacities.
In addition to the numerous National member benefits and in keeping with our founding principles, the Chapter engages in a wide variety of activities for its members, including but not limited to:
- Holding monthly meetings with speakers on topics of interest to the members.
- Having roundtable discussions on topics selected by the members.
- Conducting an annual survey of Salary and Benefits on attorney and staff positions in the Capital District.
- Maintaining an e-mail exchange where members can post an issue and receive the benefit of other members' experience.
- Sponsoring social events throughout the year for the members.
- Awarding scholarships to ALA’s national and regional educational conferences.
- In conjunction with a local law school, sponsoring a vendor expo and educational conference for attorneys and legal administrators in the Capital Region.
- Annually, having a Managing Partners Dinner with nationally known speakers.
- In keeping with the spirit of ALA’s Community Challenge Weekend, sponsoring a charitable fundraising event in which the members can participate.
- Providing support, encouragement and assistance to any member in need.
- Establishing relationships with vendors that are recommended by the membership and securing discounts from those vendors for products and services.
Since its founding, the Chapter has always been led by members who have dedicated their time and talents for the betterment of the Chapter and the benefit of the membership. Listed below are those dedicated individuals who have served as Chapter presidents:
|1987/1988||Elinor M. White|
|1988/1989||Dale B. Steenburgh|
|1989/1990||Mary Ann Willetts|
|1990/1991||Nancy J. Nolan|
|1992||John E. Hubbard|
|1993||Margaret C. Mastromarchi|
|1994||Joan M. Trunko|
|1995||Ann Marie Rose|
|1996||Ann Marie Rose|
|1997||Jorge L. Valero|
|1998/1999||Linda M. Seibert|
|1999/2000||Eileen F. Lang|
|2001/2002||Mary E. Lawson|
|2004/2005||Jorge L. Valero|
|2005/2006||Jorge L. Valero|
|2007/2008||Mary E. Lawson|
For information on joining ALA and the Albany Chapter please see the Join section of this website or contact the Chapter.